Beetroot in spiced coconut milk
1 or 2 medium sized beetroot
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
½ teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
½ cup thick coconut milk
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom seeds
Juice of 1 medium sized lime
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Handful of chopped coriander leaves
½ teaspoon pepper
Salt to taste
- Cook the beetroot in water, peel and cut into wedges and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and add the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander seeds and chilli flakes.
- Stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Toss in the beetroot wedges and fry stirring gently for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add the coconut milk, cardamom, lime juice and salt. Cover and cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh coriander leaves and serve.