1 kg chicken cut into medium sized pieces
6-7 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 tablespoon kasoori methi/ dry fenugreek leaves
3 whole dry chillies, sliced diagonally
3 large onions, sliced
1 1/2 tablespoon garlic, crushed and chopped
1 tablespoon ginger paste
5-6 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup tomato puree
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon amchur powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
1/2 each of green and yellow capsicum, cut into triangles
1 tomato cut into triangle chunks
1-2 green chillies, sliced lengthwise
1" ginger piece- cut into thin match sticks
- Heat a pan and roast the coriander seeds until it slightly changes its colour. Do not brown them. Remove from flame and keep aside. Once cooled, crush the coriander seeds lightly and keep aside.
- Now heat oil in a kadai. Reduce the flame and add the fenugreek seeds and whole red chillies. Stir for a few seconds, until the fenugreek turns golden brown.
- Toss in the sliced onions and saute until light brown in colour.
- Add the garlic and ginger paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Now add the crushed coriander seeds, red chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Add the chicken and stir fry on a high flame for 5-6 minutes, stirring continuously until the chicken attains a golden brown colour.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add salt, amchur powder and garam masala. Cover and cook for 10- 15 minutes until the chicken is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato puree and chopped green coriander leaves. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Toss in the capsicums, tomato triangles, ginger match sticks and sliced green chillies and mix well.
- Reduce heat and add the cream or milk and mix well. Add enough water so as to get a semi thick gravy. Cook for 2 minutes and remove form flame. Serve hot.