500 gram prawns, cleaned
2 medium onions, chopped
3 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 ½ tablespoon ginger, chopped
2 green chillies
A sprig of curry leaves, chopped
A handful of corriander leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon fennel powder
1 ½ tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon pepper powder
½ teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon vinegar
Salt to taste
4 tablespoon oil
- Make a paste of 2 tablespoon garlic, 1tablespoon ginger, 1/2 tablespoon fennel powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, vinegar and salt and keep separate.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a nonstick pan.
- Add prawns along with the ground paste and stir for 2 minutes or until it turns dry.
- Mash the prawns with a spoon and turn off the flame.
- In a separate pan add 2 table spoon oil.
- Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add chopped green chilies, 1 tablespoon garlic, 1/2 tablespoon ginger, chopped curry leaves, coriander leaves, 1/2 teaspoon fennel powder, pepper powder, garam masala and stir fry for a minute.
- Add prawns and give a good stir, cook on low flame for 2 -3 minutes and turn off the flame.
1cup plain flour (Maida)
Luke warm water, for kneading
Salt as required
Oil for frying
- Combine maida, luke warm water and salt to make smooth dough.
- Roll small balls out of it.
- Roll the dough to a circle of 6 inch diameter.
- Spread the filling on to it leaving some space at the edges.
- Place another rolled out dough on top of it.
- Seal the edges with a fork or fold the edges inside.
- Deep fry in oil until golden brown.
- Chemeen pathiri is now ready to serve.
*Prawns can be substituted by chicken, meat or vegetable of your choice.