Padavalanga Thoran / Snake Gourd Stir fry
1 medium Snake gourd/ Padavalenga
6-7 shallots/cheru ulli sliced
1 teaspoon ginger finely chopped
1 teaspoon crushed dry red chilli
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
2 Tablespoon coconut oil
5-6 curry leaves
1 Tablespoon grated coconut
- Slit open the snake gourd and remove the seeds from inside.
- Wash it well and slice into thin semicircles.
- Heat the coconut oil in a nonstick frying pan.
- Splutter the mustard seeds in the hot oil.
- Reduce the flame and add the crushed dry red chilies and fry a second or two. Take care not to burn the chilies.
- Now add the shallots, ginger and curry leaves .Sauté for 3-4 minutes or until the shallots start to brown slightly.
- Add the sliced snake gourd and turmeric powder. Stir fry for 5 minutes. Add salt and cover and cook for 7-8 minutes or until the snake gourd gets cooked.
- Switch off the flame and add the grated coconut. Mix well and serve as a side dish with rice.