2 tablespoons sunflower oil
4 tablespoons gram flour/ besan
1 tablespoon natural yoghurt
salt(preferably rock salt)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
1 teaspoon chilli powder
8-10 curry leaves
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
1 tablespoon grated coconut(optional)
- Lightly oil a baking sheet (approx. 30 cm) and spread it out and keep aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the gramflour, yoghurt, salt, turmeric, asafoetida, chilli powder and water.
- Pour this into a heavy bottomed saucepan and bring this mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally
- Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat and cook stirring continously for 10-15 minutes or until it turns into a thick paste.
- Remove this paste from the heat and spread out this paste onto the oiled baking sheet, spreading it thinly over the surface of the baking sheet with the base of a wide spoon or spatula.
- Leave this to cool for around 5-10 minutes.
- Then cut into 1 inch long strips and roll in each strip.
- Place the rolls on a serving plate.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add the curry leaves and mustard seeds.
- Once they start to crackle, pour this tempering over the prepared rolls.
- Sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut(not added here) to garnish and serve.