1 kg chicken, cut into small pieces(I used boneless)
11/2 Tbsp ginger-garlic paste
2 Tbsp lemon juice
To be ground into a paste
4 red Kashmiri chillies
2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 Tbsp coriander seeds
1 inch cinnamon
Other ingredients required
6 onions chopped fine
4 tomatoes chopped fine
4 green chillies, chopped fine
3 potatoes, small, peeled and cut into cubes
4 Tbsp oil
1/2 tsp hing powder(asafoetida)
3 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Marinate the chicken pieces with the ingredients under marinade and keep aside.
- Grind the ingredients that are to be ground into a fine paste by adding little water if required and keep aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a pan and saute one chopped onion well.
- Once the onion turns translucent add the marinated chicken to it and fry well until the chicken turns white in colour. Keep this aside.
- In another pan heat the remaining oil and saute the remaining onions.
- Once the onions start to turn golden add the chopped tomatoes and green chillies. Stir fry for a few minutes.
- Now add the ground paste and fry for one to two minutes.
- Add the chicken that was kept aside along with 2 cups of water,cubed potatoes and salt.
- Mix well and cover and cook on low heat until the chicken and potatoes are well cooked and gravy thickens.
- Finally add the asafoetida and chopped coriander leaves. Give a good mix and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from here