20 prawns cleaned and deveined
4 whole dried chillies
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 cup grated coconut
2 large onion, chopped
11/2 tablespoons tamarind pulp
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
3 tablespoons oil
- Marinate the prawns with a little salt and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Saute the dried chilies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns and fenugreek seeds for a minute.
- Grind this with the grated coconut, half of the chopped onion, turmeric powder and tamarind pulp, adding a little water, into a fine paste.
- Now heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan. Add the remaining chopped onion and saute until light brown.
- Add the grounded paste and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water. When it starts to boil, add the prawns and salt(very little, as the prawns are already marinated in salt) and mix well. Simmer until cooked.
- Serve hot with rice.