500 grams fish (preferably king fish)
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1tablespoon ginger chopped
1 tablespoon garlic chopped
1 green chili, slitted
3-4 whole cardamom
1 inch cinnamon stick
3 tomatoes sliced
1 teaspoon vinegar
2 cups thin coconut milk (randam paal)
1 cup thick coconut milk
2 sprigs curry leaves
1+ ½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon pepper powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt and oil as required
- Marinate the fish pieces with 1 teaspoon red chili powder, ½ teaspoon pepper powder, turmeric powder and keep aside for 20-25 minutes.
- Shallow fry in oil until light golden colour.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoon oil in a pan.
- Splutter cardamom, cloves and cinnamon.
- Sauté green chili, ginger, garlic, curryleaves and stir until raw smell goes off.
- Sauté onions until transparent.
- Add ½ teaspoon red chili powder and stir.
- Add tomatoes and stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Add medium thick coconut milk and allow it to boil.
- Add fish pieces along with required salt.
- Add 1 teaspoon vinegar.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes in medium flame.
- Finally add thick coconut milk and heat for 1-2 minutes.(do not boil)
- Serve hot with appam/rice.
*In order to make thick gravy add 1-2 teaspoon of corn flour.