Nurukku gothambu payasam/Broken wheat payasam (Vishu special)
1 cup broken wheat
½ kg jaggery
4 ½ cups water
4 cups medium thick coconut milk
1 cup thick coconut milk
3 tablespoon ghee
¼ cup cashew nuts
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup bite sized coconut pieces (thengakothu) (I skipped this part)
½ teaspoon dried ginger powder
½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- Clean the broken wheat and pressure cook it by adding 4 cups water in high flame until it gives off 7-8 whistles.(make sure that the wheat is cooked well )
- Melt jaggery in a pan with ½ cup water and strain it.
- Combine the melted jaggery with the cooked wheat.
- Add 2 tablespoon of ghee to the melted jaggery and stir nicely for 4-5 minutes.
- Add medium thick coconut milk and mix well.
- Allow it to boil and keep stirring in between until it attains a thick consistency.
- Add thick coconut milk and heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add dried ginger and cardamom powder.
- In a pan heat 1 table spoon ghee and fry coconut pieces.
- When it turns light brown colour add cashew nuts and raisins and fry it.
- Pour it on top of payasam.
- Serve hot.