1 cup toor dal
½ cup methi (fenugreek) leaves
1 green chilli, slitted
1 onion, chopped
1 large tomato chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
½ - 1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
2 dried chilies
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
tamarind,a small lemon size ,soaked in water and mashed well to extract the pulp
2 tablespoon oil
- Pressure cook dal with salt and turmeric powder.
- Pour 2 tablespoon oil in a pan.
- Splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and dried red chilies,green chilies and give a good stir.
- Add chopped onion and garlic and stir until the mixture turns translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and keep sauteing until the tomatoes are mashed well and oil starts separating.
- Add chili powder and salt if required.(I added chili powder to make it more spicy and colorful)
- At this stage add methi leaves and mix well for 1-2 minutes and off the flame.
- Add this methi mixture and tamarind pulp to the cooked dal and boil for a minute.
- Serve hot with rice/ chapathi.