The first time I had this dish was from my Mother In Law’s kitchen…She never gets tired of cooking. She loves experimenting on dishes. She normally uses small prawns for this dish which makes it more delicious. But since we don’t have it available here I used large prawns.
2 large ridge gourds
10-15 large prawns,cleaned and cut into small pieces
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 sprig curry leaves
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoon kashmiri chili powder
1 small cocum/kudampuli
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon oil
- Peel the hard outer ridges of ridge gourd and cut into small cubes and keep separate.
- Cook prawns with cocum and salt.
- Pour 2 tablespoon oil in a pan and shallow fry shallots,curry leaves and garlic.
- Add chili powder and turmeric powder on low flame and stir for a minute.
- Add ridge gourd, mix well,cover and cook on low flame for about 5-10 minutes. Stir in between.
- Remove the cover and stir on high flame until water from the ridge gourd completely evaporates.
- Mix prawns to the above ridge gourd and cook on low flame for 5 more minutes.
- Add more salt if required.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot with plain rice and curry of your choice.