Duck: 1kg, cut into small pieces
Onion: 3 large, chopped
Garlic: 5-6 cloves, chopped
Ginger: 1”piece finely chopped
Green chilli: 3
Curry leaves: 3 sprigs
Tomato: 2 medium, chopped
Chilli powder: 1tsp
Coriander powder: 2tbsp
Garam masala: 1 tbsp.
Pepper powder: 2tbsp
Vinegar: 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder: 1/2tsp
Salt: as required
Coconut oil: 3-4 tbsp.
- Cook the duck in a pressure cooker, with salt and turmeric powder until the cooker gives off 1 whistle.
- Transfer duck to another vessel and in the same pressure cooker heat 3-4 tbsp. of oil and sauté onions until lightly browned. At this stage add chopped ginger, garlic, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Continue sauting until the raw smell of the ginger and garlic goes and the onion turns dark brown.
- Reduce flame; add chilli powder, coriander powder, pepper powder, garam masala and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, vinegar and continue sautéing until the tomatoes are mashed.
- Now add the cooked duck, seal the cooker and cook for 2-3 whistles (cooking time varies depending on the type of duck- tender duck gets cooked by 1 or 2 whistles).
- Open the cooker and boil until the gravy attains a thick consistency.
*To make the dish spicier, you can increase the amount of pepper powder.