Bread Gulab Jamun
For the jamuns
Bread slices – 3
Milk – 1/3 cup
Milk powder – 1 cup
Oil/ghee – for frying
For the syrup
Sugar – 2 cups
Water – 1 cup
Cardamom – 2
- In a pan boil the sugar with the water until the sugar is dissolved. Crush the cardamoms slightly and add to the sugar syrup. Off the flame and keep the syrup separate.
- Cut of the edges of the bread and soak it in the milk(add the milk little by little; maybe the whole amount of milk may not be required; depends upon the size of the bread).
- Add the milk powder to the soaked bread and knead well to form a sticky dough.
- Rub some oil onto your palms and make small balls out of the dough and keep separate.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. Deep fry the balls until it attains a nice golden brown colour. Remove the balls from the oil and add it to the prepared sugar syrup.
- Let the jamuns soak in the syrup for an hour or two and then relish it as such or with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.