Savouring puffs was something we all loved as kids. Nowadays as the health factor and healthy eating habits have outsourced our mind and body, we have excluded this from our cravings list. Still, sometimes when the kid within us urges us to have at least a bite of this snack , we decide to have it but only after it is pressed within our palms in a tissue paper to remove any more excess oil the puff has sucked in.
Though not always, once in a blue moon day, we can lend our ears to the child within us and have this oily snack...again perhaps pressed, distorted and wrapped in a tissue paper.
A great snack for a kids party. Whats the fun in party without any fried snacks, especially for kids!!!
But again option is yours..here I have fried the puffs, you can opt to bake it for a healthier version.
Ingredients100 grams boneless chicken
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
1 whole dried red chilli. deseeded and chopped
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon of curry powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper powder
1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
1 egg slightly beaten
10 square puff pastry sheets
1 tablespoon oil, plus extra for frying
- Cook the chicken with little salt and turmeric powder in 1 cup of water. Once cooked mince the chicken and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the onion, garlic, ginger and chili and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Lower the flame and add the curry powder and minced chicken.Mix and stir fry on a high flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Switch off the flame and keep aside.
- Cut out one circle from each of the square pastry sheets using a round shaped cutter or you can even use the rim of a glass to cut out the circles.
- Place a spoon of chicken mix in the centre of each circle.
- Brush the beaten egg along the edge of the pastry sheet. Now fold the pastry sheet in half , thereby enclosing the chicken filling in it. Using the tines of a fork, press and crimp the edges to seal.
- In a wok heat enough oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot deep fry the puffs, turning occasionally in batches for 2-3 minutes or until it puffs up and is golden in colour.
- Transfer onto a kitchen towel and serve with tomato ketchup.
* For baked puffs, preheat the oven to 220 degree Celsius. Place the prepared puffs on to a baking tray lined with baking paper and cook for 15- 20 minutes or until the puffs are puffed up and golden in colour.