1/2 kg natholi/anchovies
1 cup grated coconut
4-5 green chillies
1' ginger piece
5-6 cloves garlic
1 lemon size tamarind, soaked in water and strained
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
2-3 tablespoon coconut oil
a handful curry leaves
- Crush or grind coarsely the coconut, green chillies, ginger, garlic, tamarind, cumin seeds and curry leaves together.
- Cook the cleaned natholi/anchovies in one cup water with salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder.
- In a separate pan, heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Add the mustard seeds. Once they start to splutter add the grinded or crushed coconut mixture . Mix well.
- Make little space in the centre of the coconut mixture and add the cooked natholi . Cover it with the coconut mixture from all sides.
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow this to cook on very low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Open and mix gently. Check for salt and add more if required. Then cook uncovered till all the water is absorbed.
- Remove from flame and finally add few more curry leaves(slightly crushed with your hands).
- Drizzle little more coconut oil on top and serve hot with rice.