When the bell rang at that odd hour of the day, and I opened the door with a confused state of mind, little did I expect to see my friend,co-blogger standing over there with her little one. Then from behind the wall came her better half holding this amazing cake. And, together they sang, 'Happy Birthday to you..'
Just maybe an hour or so ago we reached back home after our weekly shopping for vegetables and provisions. Though I saw her picking up a few items from the bakery section, I had never thought that on reaching home she would quickly whip up everything and bake this cake, just to make my birthday a memorable one.
Thankyou my dear friend for that wonderful surprise. The cake tasted heavenly, as beyond all the other ingredients it had the essence of love and friendship in it.
Before settling down with this surprise,I thought of getting you a gift.After exploring various options,I concluded that being a co-blogger,what better gift than a home made cake!!!!! Am glad that you really enjoyed it.Wishing you love,luck and happiness alwayz.....Over to the recipe..
For Chocolate Fudge Cake
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
A pinch of salt
115 grams unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup hot milk
- Pre- heat the oven to 180 degree.
- Grease a 9" baking tray with butter and flour and keep aside.
- Melt butter in a heat proof bowl and allow it to cool.
- Add sugar to it and mix well.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and stir well with a wooden spatula.
- Add baking soda,salt,cocoa powder and mix with out any lumps.
- Add in the flour and stir slowly until the dry and wet ingredients are well combined.
- Add in the hot milk and mix till everything blends well.
- Pour the batter to the greased tin and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool completely for icing to be done.
For Dark Chocolate Icing
150 gram chopped plain dark chocolate(75%cocoa solids)
1 cup water
15 grams butter
1/2 cup sugar
- Melt the chocolate with 2 tablespoons water in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Stir in the butter until smooth.
- Put the remaining water and sugar in a pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Gradually pour the syrup into the melted chocolate,stirring until a thick frosting consistency (you may not need all the sugar syrup)
- Allow to cool slightly and pour over the cake.
- Leave to set at room temperature.