|Jimikand ki sabzi|
JIMIKAND KI SABZI or INDIAN YAM CURRY
Yam / Jimikand / Chena – 500 gms
Green chillies – 3-4, split lengthwise
Whole dry red chillies – 3
Asafoetida – a pinch
Ginger paste – 1 Tbsp
Tomato puree – ½ cup
Fresh cream – ½ cup
Bay Leaves – 3-4
Salt – as required
Kashmiri chilli powder – ¾ tsp
Corriander powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Peel and wash yam and cut it into small cubes.
- Heat oil and fry yam till golden in colour. Remove from oil and drain onto paper towel and keep aside.
- To the same oil add the whole dried red chillies, bay leaves and asafoetida. Sauté for two seconds.
- Add the ginger paste and fry till dry.
- Add tomato puree and fry well.
- Add the fresh cream and fry till ghee floats on top.
- Mix the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt in little water to make a fine paste. Add this paste to the curry and fry well.
- Now add the fried pieces of yam and mix well. Add ¼ cup of water and the slit green chillies. Cover and cook till gravy thickens.
You can garnish with a dollop of fresh cream and green chillies. Serve hot.