1 kg brinjals, cut into cubes
1 tsp fenugreek/uluva/methi seeds
3 large onions, sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced
2 inch ginger piece, cut into juliennes
5-6 green chillies, slit lengthwise
20 cashewnuts, split into halves
20 raisins, soaked in water
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp fennel/perumjeerakam seeds
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp garam masala powder
3 Tbsp oil+ extra for frying
coriander leaves, chopped for garnishing
- Fry the brinjal cubes in oil until golden and drain onto a kitchen tissue and keep aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a wok. Add the fenugreek and fennel seeds.
- When they splutter, add the sliced onions and saute till transparent.
- Now add the cashewnuts, raisins, green chillies and ginger. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, salt, garam masala powder, tomatoes, lemon juice and sugar. Mix everything well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fried brinjal cubes and mix well.
- Cover and cook on a low flame for 5-6 minutes, so that the masala blends well with the brinjal pieces.
- After 5 minutes, mix well, remove from the flame and serve garnished with chopped coriander leaves.