1 large potato, boiled and mashed
1 bunch palak/spinach leaves, shredded fine
3-4 bread slices, dipped in water and squeezed
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 green chilli, chopped fine
1/4 teaspoon garlic paste
oil to fry
salt to taste
For the sauce
5-6 garlic cloves, chopped fine
4 green chillies, chopped fine
1/2 green capsicum, chopped fine
1 teaspoon pepper powder
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoon soya sauce
2 tablespoon tomato ketchup
2 tablespoon red chilli sauce
2 tablespoon oil
salt to taste
1 tablespoon cornflour, dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- In a mixing bowl, add the mashed potato, shredded spinach leaves, chopped onion, chopped green chilli, garlic paste and squeezed bread.Mix everything well and knead well.
- Make small balls of this mixture and keep them in the freezer for 5 minutes.(moist your hands to roll the balls)
- Heat oil enough for frying in a deep bottomed pan. Deep fry the prepared balls until golden brown in colour. Drain onto a kitchen towel.
To prepare the sauce
- In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, tomato ketchup, chilli sauce and salt.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a sauce pan. Add the sugar to the oil.Once the sugar starts to caramelize add the chopped garlic and green chillies.
- Saute them quickly, and pour the sauce mix immediately. Mix well and cook the sauce for a minute. Add the capsicum and mix well.
- Add the cornflour dissolved in water and keep stirring until the sauce thickens slightly. Switch off the flame.
- Pour the prepared sauce over the fried spinach and potato balls and serve.