The other when Jaya shared this recipe with me, she assured me that it is a handy recipe that can be readily made on those lazy or busy days. A recipe that calls for just a few ingredients, very less time and the end result....the feel of having had a flavorsome biriyani. Yes, you read it right, that was exactly the feeling we all had at home after having this delicious rice. A green coloured rice which tastes somewhat like a biriyani, but doesn't require all that long procedure of making a biriyani. The fusion of the green herbs with the spiciness of the green chillies and tanginess with a dash of lemon, makes it taste great, accompanied with a chicken curry or paneer curry. Thank you Jaya for sharing this recipe.
2 cups basmati rice
a handful of coriander leaves
a handful of mint leaves
3-4 green chillies (you can add more if you prefer more spicy)
4-5 garlic cloves
1 inch piece of ginger
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2-3 tablespoons ghee
salt to taste
- Boil the basmati rice in plenty of water with salt until 3/4th cooked. Drain and keep aside.
- Grind the coriander leaves, mint leaves, garlic, ginger and green chilies into a fine paste.
- Heat the ghee in a wok. Add the grinded paste and stir fry in a medium flame until the raw smell of garlic is gone.
- Add the cooked rice to this and mix well.
- Add the lemon juice, mix well and remove from flame.
- The rice is ready to be served hot with some spicy chicken curry or any other curry of your choice.
* A pinch of garam masala powder too can be added at the end for that perfect biriyani taste. I didn't add, as I liked it as such:))