These crispy, spicy, bite sized Indian fritters are so delicious that you can't stop with one. A cup of hot masala tea and these pakoras go hand in hand and if its raining outside then nothing more to say...
1/2 cup roasted vermicelli
2 onions, chopped
1 medium potato, boiled, peeled and mashed
1/2 cup gram flour
1 Tbsp rice flour
2 green chillis, chopped very fine
2 tsp finely chopped ginger
1/4 tsp asafoetida/hing
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
2 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
few curry leaves, chopped fine
1 tsp fennel seeds
salt to taste
oil to deep fry
- Cook the vermicelli in lots of water until tender. Take care not to overcook the vermicelli.
- Drain the water and wash the vermicelli under cold water immediately. Drain the water completely and keep aside.
- In a bowl, mix the mashed potato, vermicelli,onion, green chilli, gram flour, ginger, asafoetida, red chilli powder, coriander leaves, curry leaves, fennel seeds, rice flour and salt. Do not add any extra water.Knead everything well.
- Heat oil in a wok. Take small bite sized portions of the pakora mix and deep fry in the oil until golden brown on all sides.(You can shape the pakoras and fry too, if you wish to do so).
- Drain on to a kitchen tissue to absorb any excess oil. Serve hot with a cup of tea.