1 1/2 cup basmati rice
1 onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves. chopped
1 1/2 cup boiled green peas or frozen green peas
1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
1/4 cup chopped mint/pudhina leaves
3 green chilies, finely chopped
1 tablespoon oil
salt to taste
- Wash and soak the rice in water for half an hour. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the drained rice and stir fry the rice until light pink in colour.
- Add 3 cups of hot water(the water should be hot else the rice will be sticky), salt and mix well.
- Let this boil until most of the water is absorbed.
- Now lower the flame to the minimum and cover and cook until the rice is almost cooked.
- At this stage add the peas, coriander leaves, mint leaves and green chillies. Mix gently.
- Cook for some more time until the rice is fully done.
- Serve hot with a spicy side dish and a raita.