1 cup shallots; peeled and washed
2 tsp red chilli powder(use kashmiri for the bright colour) or 4-5 whole dry red chillies
a tiny ball of tamarind
3 Tbsp coconut oil
salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Roast the shallots in it for 2- 3minutes.
- Reduce the flame and add the chilli powder. Roast for a few seconds(take care not to burn the chilli powder). If you are using whole red chillies you can roast them along with the shallots.
- Allow this to cool to room temperature.
- Coarsely grind this along with the tamarind and salt, adding only 2 tsp of water.(The chammanthi should be thick).
- Transfer the chammanthi onto a serving bowl and drizzle the remaining coconut oil on top.
- Serve this chammanthi with idli or dosa.