500 gm chicken, cut into small pieces
2 tsp chopped ginger
2 tsp chopped garlic
2 green chillies sliced
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 tomatoes chopped
1 big onion chopped
3 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 cup water
1 tsp vinegar
salt to taste
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1" cinnamon stick
1/2 star anise3 dry whole chillies, broken into pieces
1 sprig curry leaves
2 shallots sliced
- Put the chicken along with all the ingredients(excluding the ingredients under tempering) into a pan(preferably an earthen pot(manchatti)).
- Mix everything well and cook on a low flame until the chicken is cooked, gravy thickens slightly and oil is seen to float on top. Remove from heat and keep aside
- For the tempering, heat oil in a separate pan.Add the whole spices, curry leaves and sliced shallots.
- Fry until the onions turn golden brown.
- Now pour this over the prepared chicken curry and cover the pot immediately so that the aroma lingers in the curry. Let it remain covered for 10 minutes.
- Open, mix well and serve delicious chicken mulakittathu with steamed rice, dosa or chappathi.