500 grams cherupayar parippu(moong dal)
1 kg jaggery
11/2 cup water
3 1/2 cups thick coconut milk
8 cups medium thick coconut milk
8 cups thin coconut milk
4 tablespoon ghee
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
a pinch of salt
cashew nuts and coconut pieces for garnishing
- Wash and drain moong dal.
- Melt the jaggery by adding 11/2 cup water and keep aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoon ghee in a pan and fry parippu for 4-5 minutes on low flame.
- Add the melted jaggery and still well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add light coconut milk and once it starts to boil add medium thick coconut milk.
- When the above mixture becomes half the quantity and the dal gets cooked, add thick coconut milk and stir well (do not boil).
- Add salt,dry ginger powder,cardamom powder.
- Stir well and turn off the flame.
- Fry the coconut pieces and cashew nuts in 1 tablespoon ghee and add to payasam.
- Serve hot.