Ripe mangoes cooked in a yoghurt coconut based gravy. This dish is perfect during the mango season when ripe mangoes are avalilable in plenty.
3-4 small ripe mangoes
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek powder(dry roast the fenugreek/uluva/methi and powder)
1/2 teaspoon grated jaggery or sugar
1/2 teaspoon ghee(optional)
1-2 sprigs of curry leaves
salt to taste
1/2 cup grated coconut
1 cup sour yoghurt
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1-2 green chillies
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
2-3 whole red chillies, broken into pieces
few curry leaves
- Peel the mangoes and cut into pieces. If the mangoes are the small variety you can add the mangoes as such(slightly crush the mangoes and add).
- Cook the mangoes well with turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt in little water.If the mangoes are not very sweet you can add the jaggery or sugar.
- Mix in the ghee and stir well.(This step is optional, but it enhances the taste. You can skip it if you wish to.)
- Meanwhile grind the coconut, cumin and green chillies with the yoghurt into a fine and thick paste.
- Add this to the cooked mango mixture and mix well. Before it begins to boil, remove from the stove and keep aside.
- Add the sprigs of curry leaves and sprinkle the roasted and powdered fenugreek. Keep this aside.
- Now for the tempering, heat the coconut oil and splutter the mustard seeds. Add the red chillies and curry leaves. Pour this on the prepared mango curry.Cover immediately.
- Let the dish remain covered for 15 minutes atleast before serving so that the flavours are infused well.
- Serve with steamed rice.