400 gms chickpeas(soaked overnight)
4 medium onions sliced
1 tsp garlic paste
2 tomatoes chopped
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
3 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp soft brown sugar
3-4 Tbsp chopped mint leaves
1 bunch fresh spinach leaves, chopped
4 Tbsp oil
whisked yogurt, to garnish
- Cook the soaked chickpeas in enough water with salt in a pressure cooker, until soft and tender or you can use the canned ones.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add the sliced onions and saute until golden brown.
- Add the garlic paste and saute until the raw smell goes off.
- Reduce the heat and add the turmeric, coriander, cumin, chilli and curry powders. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and 200ml of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas,spinach, salt and mix well. Cook for another 8- 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped mint leaves. Mix well and spoon out into a serving bowl.
- Garnish by drizzling some whisked yogurt on top.