We celebrated our 9th year of togetherness last week.It just seems like yesterday, that we whispered "I Do".To celebrate this occassion I thought of giving my husband a surprise by baking a special cake.To add a dash of humor,I filched a line from a popular Malayalam movie song, which has been scripted on the cake.Those words bought a 1000 watts smile on his face...
Ingredients(For one cake)
1/2 cup walnut pieces, roughly chopped225 grams powdered sugar
225 grams unsalted butter
200 grams plain flour
4 teaspoon instant coffee powder mixed in 1 tablespoon boiling water
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
4 large eggs
2 tablespoon milk
A pinch of salt
For Butter cream coffee Icing
350 grams icing sugar
175 grams unsalted butter
2 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee powder
Plainwalnuts or caramelised walnuts to decorate.
For The Cake
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celcius.
- Grease two 9"baking tray with butter and flour and keep aside.
- Powder walnut in a grinder to a fine nutty powder.
- Sift flour,baking powder,baking soda and salt and keep aside.
- Using a mixer,beat butter and sugar until soft and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat after each addition.
- Pour coffee mixture and give a good stir.
- Add the flour mixture and stir slowly until the ingredients are well combined.
- Finally add milk and mix well.The mixture should be of dropping consistency.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking try and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely for icing to be done.
- Beat butter and icing sugar in a food processor and make a smooth icing.
- Add 4 teaspoon instant coffee powder mixed in 1 tablespoon boiling water and blend well.
- Place one cake upside down and spread half the icing on top.
- Place the second cake on top of that in such a way that the two falt sides of the cake meet in the middle.
- Cover the top with the remaining icing.
- Decorate with plain or caramelized walnuts.