2 bunches red spinach/ cheera, chopped
1/2 cup cooked and mashed tuvar dal
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 cup grated coconut
1/4 teaspoon cumin/jeera seeds
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard
2-3 shallots, sliced thin
2-3 whole red chillies(broken into pieces)
1 pappad, torn into bits
few curry leaves
- Add the chopped spinach into the cooked dal.
- Add 1 cup of water, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Cook until the spinach turns soft.
- Grind the coconut and cumin into a fine paste.
- Add this to the dal and spinach. Mix well and cook on a low flame for 5 minutes.
For the tempering
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds.
- As the mustard starts to crackle add the whole red chillies, shallots, pappad pieces and curry leaves.
- As the pappad puffs up and the onions start to turn golden, remove from flame and pour this onto the spinach curry.Close with a lid for 3-4 minutes so that the aroma lingers in the curry.
- Serve with rice.