1 gooseberry size tamarind pulp, soaked in 1 cup of water and strained
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
a pinch turmeric powder
1 teaspoon black pepper powder
a pinch of asafoetida/kaayam
1/4 cup tuvar dal, cooked well with 2 cups of water, strained and keep the water aside
3 tomatoes , sliced into thick pieces
1/4 teaspoon mustard
2 stalks coriander leaves chopped
few curry leaves
2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Into the strained tamarind juice add the chili powder, turmeric powder, pepper, asafoetida and salt. Allow this to boil for 5-10 minutes.
- Now add the water in which the dal was cooked.
- Add the tomato pieces and once the tomatoes are cooked remove from flame.
- Heat the coconut oil in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds. Once they start to crackle, add the curry leaves and switch off the flame. Add this to the prepared rasam.
- Add the coriander leaves. Keep the rasam covered for 5 minutes before serving.