Ladies-finger with Oats..sounds a bit odd, right. I too had the same feeling when I read about this recipe. But as it was a Sanjeev Kapoor recipe, I was sure that it won't be bad. Tried it out the other day, and must say it was lipsmacking dish with the spiciness of the chilli and the tanginess of the mango powder. And moreover oats is considered as the staple food nowadays:))) considering the health benefits of this cereal such as low calorie food, helps to stop cravings, high in fibre, low in fat and high in proteins. Ah! what more do you want! Here goes the recipe of bhindi/ladies-finger with oats...
250 grams ladiesfinger/bhindi sliced diagonally
1 medium onion, chopped roughly
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
few curry leaves
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon kashmiri chili powder(use less if you don't want it that spicy, this quantiy makes the dish very spicy)
1 teaspoon amchur/mango powder
2 tablespoon oats
2 tablespoon oil
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds. Once it starts to brown add the curry leaves and onion.
- Saute for a minute and then add the sliced ladiesfinger. Mix well.
- Add the turmeric powder, chili powder,salt and mango powder.
- Saute well for 4-5 minutes on a medium flame.
- Add the oats and saute for 2-3 minutes more.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot as a side dish with rice/chapathi and dal.