500 gms prawns, cleaned and deveined
a handful of shallots, sliced
1 Tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 large tomato chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
lots of curry leaves
3-4 Tbsp coconut oil
salt to taste
- Marinate the prawns with turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt.
- In about 3 Tbsp of coconut oil saute the sliced shallots. Once it starts turning golden brown add the ginger-garlic paste and fry well until the raw smell is gone.
- Add the kashmiri chilli powder and fry for a minute more.
- Now add the tomatoes and mix well. Cover and cook for few minutes until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Once the tomatoes are fully mashed and oil layer starts to show from the sides, tip in the prawns. Mix well.
- Add some curry leaves and let the prawns get cooked in the tomato gravy(don't add water, the prawns should get cooked in the juice of the tomatoes).
- Fry well until the prawns are cooked, dark in colour and coated with the tomato masala.
- Remove from heat and add some more curry leaves and drizzle 1 Tbsp of coconut oil on top and serve hot.