A quick and instant breakfast dish- uthappam with bread.Ingredients
3 slices of bread(crusts removed)
3 Tbsp semolina
3 Tbsp wheat flour(atta)
1/4 tsp yogurt
1 onion chopped fine
1 green chilli chopped very fine
1/4 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
1/4 tsp finely chopped ginger
2 Tbsp finely grated carrot
1 tsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Cut the bread slices into small pieces.
- Blend the bread pieces with semolina, yogurt, atta and salt, by adding little water into a smooth and thick batter.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl and add the onion, green chilli, jeera, carrot, ginger and coriander leaves.(You can also add chopped tomatoes and capsicum)
- Mix the batter well. The consistency of the batter should be neither too thick nor too thin. It should be a semi thick batter.
- Heat a skillet and grease it lightly. Pour a laddle full of the batter and spread it into the consistency of a thick pancake.
- Drizzle some oil around the uthappam and allow it to cook on a low flame for about two minutes.(You can cover and cook to ensure even cooking). Open and flip over to cook the other side too for about two minutes.
- The uthappam should be golden browned on both sides.
- Serve these uthappams with coconut chutney or coriander chutney.
Recipe adapted from here( with some changes by me) and inspired by my friend Reshmi. Thankyou Reshmi for that inspiration.