3 medium-small beetroots, peeled and grated
2 big onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 inch ginger, chopped
4 green chillies, chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp pepper powder
3 tsp freshly grated coconut
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp urid dal
2 whole red chillies,broken to pieces
few curry leaves
salt to taste
1 Tbsp +1tsp coconut oil
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds. Once it starts to splutter add the urid dal and red chillies.
- Fry for a minute and then add the chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies. Fry for few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and saute until the onion turns golden brown in colour.
- Now add the turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add the grated beetroot and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on a medium to low flame, stirring now and then.
- Once 3/4 th cooked open and continue cooking on a low flame until it becomes dry and dark in colour.
- Add the grated coconut and curry leaves. Mix well.
- Finally add the pepper powder, mix well and continue to cook for a minute more.
- Switch off the flame and drizzle 1 tsp coconut oil on top.
- Serve as a side dish with steamed rice and curry.