Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Cheera Masiyal


I had long before shared a post on Palak Masiyal. Now, this recipe is the same as that, the only difference being that here red spinach/ cheera is being used in place of palak. I happened to taste this dish long before from our family friend Jaysree chechi's place. I fell in love with it and immediately asked her how this was done. She told me it was one dish that her mom, grandmom and all used to make. So it was a recipe passed on from one generation to the next and somehow these kinds of recipes passed on from the older generations have always tasted the best for me. I deeply believe that such inherited recipes should be captured and the baton should be passed on to the coming generations too. So this has to be recorded somewhere and that's why I try to treasure such recipes and keep them. Now this recipe too like many other recipes may have different versions in different places, but as for me, this was how I tasted it and this was how I liked it! Something which I frequently make. So over to the recipe of  Cheera Masiyal



Watch how to make it 


Ingredients
2 cups chopped red spinach
1 onion chopped
2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 whole red chilies
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp chili powder
3-4 pappads
salt to taste

Method
  • Heat the coconut oil in a pan.
  • Add the chopped onion and saute well.
  • Break the chilies and add them to the onion. Fry for a few seconds.
  • Add turmeric powder and chili powder. Fry until the raw smell goes.
  • Tear the pappads into small bits and add. Fry until the pappad pieces get roasted slightly.
  • Now add the spinach and salt. Mix well.
  • Reduce the heat and cook covered for 2-3 minutes. The spinach will shrink and release water.
  • Open and saute until the water is almost absorbed. 
  • Serve with rice and any curry of your choice.

1 comment:

We would be glad to hear your feedback:)