Christmas fruit cake
Chopped walnuts: 1/2 cup
2 cups mixed dried fruits of your choice (I used apricot, dates and figs)
Raisins: 1/4 cup
(All above ingredients should be soaked in rum/brandy for a minimum of 2 weeks. I had soaked mine for a month, shake the fruit jar every day.)
Plain flour (Maida):2 cups
Sugar: 1 ¼ cup
Vanilla essence: 2 tsp
Unsalted butter: 250 gms
Baking soda: 1/2tsp
Nutmeg: a small piece
Cardamom: 2 nos
Cinnamon: a small piece
Cloves: 2 nos
Salt, a pinch.
Sugar ½ cup
Water: 1/4 cup
- Heat ½ a cup of sugar in a pan, on low heat
- Keep stirring and ensure that the sugar does not get burnt
- Once the sugar turns dark brown turn off the heat and pour ¼ cup water into the caramelized sugar(as shown in the picture).
- Allow it to cool down at room temperature.
- Drain the soaked fruits from the brandy/rum and toss it with 2-3 tbspn of flour (this will prevent the fruits from sinking to the bottom of the batter while baking)
- Sift plain flour with baking powder and baking soda
- Separate the yolk and white of the eggs
- Powder cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg in a grinder
- Beat egg whites until soft and fluffy and keep aside.
- Once you complete the above procedure, preheat the oven to 180 degree.
- Beat egg yolk and butter until it forms a smooth paste.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and beat after each addition.
- Add vanilla essence, salt, spice powder and cooled caramel.
- Gradually add flour by reducing the speed of the beater or by stirring with a wooden spatula in one direction.
- Once the flour is mixed without any lumps, fold in the egg whites until no white streak is visible.
- Add soaked fruits along with the retained brandy/rum and combine. (For those who don’t like the extra taste of brandy/rum, can reduce the amount according to your choice)
- Grease a 9”baking dish lined with non stick baking paper and pour the above mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tray.
- Once it cools down, you can do icing of your choice.
This cake can be stored at room temperature for about 2 weeks in an airtight container.